Mission killer bikini body, healthy heart

Mission killer bikini body, healthy heart

Accompanying song: Gotye – Eyes Wide Open

Most of us have some excess fat to lose from these winter months of hibernation. If you’re keen to start losing fat and want to feel healthier then join me over the next three months and let’s do this thing. I’ve put the tools I’ve found through my powers of research (like that, it’s like I’m a superhero, but of the geeky kind, queen of the geeks!) below.

Mission killer bikini body, healthy heart starts now.

Hahei Beach: My 2008 Christmas playing volley ball with my family.

Get honest: Have a look, just a teeny peak at your tummy, and cry with me.

I sure have indulged myself in every yummy foreign treat I’ve seen this year. I’m not sure when I made the switch to wearing those stretchy tights instead of pants, but at one point my pants went past the uncomfortable “muffin top” stage and into “I might burst a seam” territory.  I know, I know, there are rules about wearing tights like they are pants. Despite this I didn’t have a clue about the “seriousness” of the situation, you know, under these tops and jackets skillfully maneuvered to camouflage the chubby-tubby.

I rummaged around for my bikini the other night and snapped a photo to send to my sister (why I was attempting to send my sister a photo of me in a bikini you ask? Think girly shopping conversation, I won’t bore you with details).  Apart from the blaring obvious faux pas with my hairdressing (yellow hair!, seriously get this girl some tonner!)  I was really surprised with the image I saw. It certainly wasn’t in line with how I think my body looks.  Needless to say, the photo was not sent. Said photo is on lockdown until further notice.
What about you. Are you indulging more than you should and how are you really looking?

My tummy on a photoshoot... early this year. Photo taken by http://alesart.net/

It’s in your head: Find your motivation

Despite the fact that I don’t look my best at the moment, that’s not something that is really going to sustain my commitment to a totally healthy lifestyle from now until summer (and to maintain a fitness lifestyle thereafter). But what does keep me motivated is how I feel. Getting rid of processed foods from my diet and nourishing my body with fresh fruit and vegetables changes me. No more sluggish, sleepy and moody feelings. Not to mention how great exercise feels. I feel fitter, happier and healthier everyday and get a wicked endorphin hit. When I walk, sit or do anything for that matter, I am in control and command my body.

Alternatively research says that if you’re someone driven by how you look, give yourself goals.
The pencil test is a killer. See if you can hold a pencil under the smile of your butt cheek. If you can, then your goal could be working towards perking up that butt. For others it might be a six pack. Just figure out what keeps you motivated and remind yourself of that when you don’t feel in the mood for eating healthy and exercising when “no one else is”.

Why am I doing this? Because I want to be the best version of myself and feel young, healthy and full of spark! What about you?

A photo I snapped of Kick boxer James O'Connor, if you are in Wellington NZ you should defiantly see him fight.

Get educated

Reducing fat is simple. Food = energy/calories. Consume fewer calories (energy) than you burn to create a deficit. But note, we must be sure to eat over 1200 calories (or more depending on your weight/height etc) to maintain the healthy function of our bodies (think vital organs, heart etc). This is called your resting metabolic rate (RMR).

The key of weight loss seems to rely on how much we put in our mouths. Eat less and your body will start to burn the stored fat. Exercise on top of that and you will widen the calorie deficit and burn even more (plus help burn calories when you’re not even working out). Keep your metabolism firing by eating small meals regularly (5-6 meals a day).  Think of your metabolism it as a fire, don’t let the flame go out, but don’t smother the flame either – just keep it burning. I.e eat until you are not hungry, but not until you are full.

Within this, there’s proper nutrition to give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to function effectively over the long term and to make us look and feel great. This is a bit more complicated as everyone has different ideas on what is right. I personally am siding with the school of thought that promotes eating clean and having variety. I’ve dropped processed foods (bar low-fat cottage cheese and olive oil) and am only eating food that hasn’t been modified (and making an effort to get lots of protein). As a rule of thumb I’m avoiding things that come from packets, and stocking up on food from the fresh market. There are other schools of thought however, you could check out the paleo diet for example (http://thepaleodiet.com/published-research/).

Other suggestions found in the literature: Try to exercise six days a week. Do cardio and resistance training. Get at least six hours sleep a night. Drink loads of water.

Yesterday's grapefruit. Yum!

Get a plan

I’m in the travelling mode and haven’t committed to a gym membership so have had to be creative with how I workout. All the equipment I am using for my workouts are a pull-up bar, and some bottles of water that I’m using as weights. There are loads of home workouts on the internet to follow, but I personally am doing the P90x workout programme.

And… get moving.

Being fit and healthy isn’t always the easy choice, but I’m sure we’ll feel better for it.
I’ll be posting updates. If you’re keen on doing this thing, then flick me an email and we can keep each other motivated (amandajasmine.williamson at gmail.com. I’m off to do a workout!

Chau lindos!

Need more info? Straightforward free advice that I really like can be found at http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm

I’m not an expert on this topic by any means, just a researcher. If you have something to add please be my guest.

13 Comments

1. Nice little entry there! Always good to have a goal, although that’s one area that I usually struggle in – I never seem to have a specific goal in mind, other than run faster, get stronger, etc.

2. Thanks!

3. Thanks! Well then, why don’t you join me in the goal for a killer bikini body, hehe.
    By the looks of it Hayden you’re at the top of your game. Congratulations of the recent win!

4. I’m with you…… I need to lose a few kgs before going home for x-mas.
    My tips – exercise a minimum of 3 times a week with a mixture of cardio and weights. The weight training is going to increase your metabolism which in turn will burn more carlories.
    Eat everything in moderation, if anything cut down on starch carbs ie bread, cake, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.
    Drink lots of water….. add some fresh lemon juice which will add flavour and help eliminate toxins.

5. Wait until you have babies, your body becomes the property of your baby and your boobs have a mind of their own. Just find a kickboxing club to join and your body will soon look fantastic, I think you already do.

6. Motherhood and post-pregnancy certainly sounds like another level of challenging! I’ve seen so many people bounce back so well though (you for one!!). I’ve heard that all that breastfeeding is a killer calorie burner, right?
    I have spent so much time just working out in the past while maintaining my eating patterns, only to see no results (in terms of fat reduction) – and I was confused by this. Although I’m sure my health is better for the exercise, I now know that if I want to reduce the amount of fat in and around MY body that I need to consciously think about my nutrition and reduce my portion sizes. I envy those lucky ones who just need to exercise to get in shape, but for a sweet-tooth like me I think I need both. Exercise does work really well to make me feel healthy, and in-turn make good food choices, but unless I consciously choose not to eat “bad” food I’ll give into the first shiny-packaged blocks of temptation I see. I don’t have too far to go, but my body is certainly not looking anywhere close to being the best version of itself at the moment, thank goodness it’s still winter and no one has to see yet! 🙂

7. Yeah breastfeeding burns calories but I personally get massive hunger pains so it cancels the hope for weigh loss out for me. I’m struggling to get back to the gym regularly because I am so tired from Lola waking twice a night to drink me dry. Isn’t it fun being a girl?

8. Fat reduction can be tricky for some woman as their bodys are amazing at storing energy such as fat/carbs/protein, especially Islander’s as their bodys adapted to long journeys without food. My advice is mixing up your training so you keep it fresh and your body has to work hard learning new and complex movements, as someone said kickboxing. Martial arts are amazing for getting into shape if thats what you’re interested in, all martial arts will involve core work which is what you want to focus on because once you have a strong working base (hips/back/abs/glutes) everything else becomes easier learning and also takes away the risk of injury with the more complex movements. If you dont like getting hit maybe something like plyometric training, to just shock your body and make your CNS work. And the sad news is just abit of sugar can ruin it, sugar’s pretty much the only thing keeping you back from the dream body lol, doesnt take much to spoil your diet, not only does it put on weight around the stomach but plays with your glucose levels and energy dispersion which are vital getting to that peaking level, I should know ive been on the same level for awhile, just hard breaking that wall sometimes and its all diet 🙁 no more tim tams /cry

• Thanks for the Tips Ben! 🙂 Sure is tricky! I haven’t been able to stay away from my version of Tim Tams…. I just love chocolate! hehe.

9. //Imported FacebookApp Comments//
    Love your blogg! Informative and always interesting and fun to read 🙂 yeah for the 90 days lifestyle challenge :)Awesume to hear Mandy 🙂 the proportion of the right foods definately make a huge difference to the results you achieved from exercising. Having said that I’m not one for strict diets, its all about balance and maintainence once you have achieved the results you want from exercising, And it is important not to undereat! sounds kinder funny but its true..and I think its always very important to have at least 1 treat day in you 7 day discipline and balance week 🙂 Good luck with it and I’m sure you’re be a motivater to many others like you already are! big hugs xx.
    Reply · Like · Follow Post · August 31, 2011 at 6:00pm

Paul Dekker · Subscribed · Taradale High School
    Time to update your bodyspace mandymoo ;-D.
    Reply · Like · Follow Post · August 30, 2011 at 6:35pm

Hamish Edgar
    I’m in a similar boat. Spent since December 2010 dealing with injuries and general lack of motivation. The last few years of being static while working on the book have been catching up big time! I’ve started swimming and walking to work – also been out scouting for a weights gym. Quite a variation out there, it’s worth looking around.
    Reply · Like · Follow Post · August 29, 2011 at 4:02pm

Amanda Jasmine Williamson · Director at Amanda Jasmine Photography
    It’s amazing how weight can creep on! Your book was such a huge (and awesome!!) project, I’m not surprised it took all of your focus.
    Some of the healthiest people I know walk/cycle to work. It’s such a good way to get around the constraints of this sedentary lifestyle brought on by office jobs.
    I hope the injuries are on the mend, swimming must be good! Maybe I too should have a look around for a local pool – it would be nice variety.
    I think we’ve got the perfect amount of time to get this boat in ship-shop-shape before the summer holidays. Let me know if you come up with any other strategies! Happy weights gym shopping!
    Reply · Like · August 29, 2011 at 4:24pm

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.